|Recent updates to the Fan Page:
According to the homepage of the theater, tickets for the Normas in May were supposed go on sale on 1-Aug at 9:00 - nevertheless, the booking has not started yet (as of 1-Aug-17)
Review of the 8-Jul concert in Santa Cruz de la Palma (the same review with different photos): 1
Photo gallery of the Lucia Popp ceremony in Vienna (4-Jul-17)
Photos: the 14-Jun recital in Melk (4-Jul-17)
Hungarian review of the 24-Jun Devereux concert in Budapest (4-Jul-17)
Slovak review of the 24-Jun Devereux concert in Budapest, with photos (28-Jun-17)
Photo and photo gallery of the 24-Jun Roberto Devereux concert in Budapest (26-Jun-17)
Hungarian article/interview on the occasion of the forthcoming Roberto Devereux in Budapest (23-Jun-17)
E.G. attended the ceremony of unveiling Lucia Popp's bust in Vienna (see below) (19-Jun-17)
Review excerpt of the 8-Jun concert: see the Performance reviews page (19-Jun-17)
Photos & photo gallery of the E.G.-Michael Schade concert of 8-Jun in Budapest: 1 2 3 4 (9-Jun-17)
Michael Schade's Facebook post about the June 8 concert (8-Jun-2017)
Detailed programme of the June 8 concert in Budapest (25-May-17)
Applause video; Roberto Devereux, April 2017 (24-May-17)
Tickets available for the June 8 concert in Budapest (22-May-17)
Concert announced for Tokyo, 26-Oct-2017 (16-May-17)
Concert announced for Sapporo, 2-Nov-2017 (11-May-17)
Review of the 27-Apr Devereux (2-May-17)
Another review of Roberto Devereux, Munich, 16-Apr (21-Apr-17)
Curtain call video, Devereux, 16-Apr (19-Apr-17)
Review: Roberto Devereux, Munich, 16-Apr (17-Apr-17)
New date: Lucia in Tokyo on 9-Nov (11-Apr-17)
More info about the Lucia in Osaka, the 50th anniversary concert in Vienna (7-Apr-17)
Additions to the schedule: Lucia in Osaka on 12-Nov-17, Norma in Prague on 30-May-18 and 2-Jun-18
More Vienna reviews: 1 2 3 (29-Mar-17)
Reviews of the 24-Mar recital in the Vienna State Opera: 1 2 3 (26-Mar-17)
Review of the recital at La Scala (26-Mar-17)
Details of the planned concerts in Deutsche Oper Berlin (22-Mar-17)
Another La Scala review (22-Mar-17)
Reviews of the March 20 recital at La Scala: 1 2 (21-Mar-17)
Details about the July 8 concert in La Palma and an interview with the chief organizer (13-Mar-17)
According to this article, E.G. will sing Norma in Prague, under Peter Valentovič's baton (10-Mar-17)
Details about the 50th anniversary concert in Zurich (9-Mar-17)
Lucia in Nagoya on 16-Nov-2017 (7-Mar-17)
TV report about E.G. & the 17-Dec concert in Vienna (10/13-Feb-17)
Warsaw Norma review English Polish (10/13-Feb-17)
Warsaw Norma review (8-Feb-17)
A concert for 29-Oct-2017 has been announced for Biwako Hall (Japan) (7-Feb-17)
Photos of the 5-Feb Norma in Warsaw on Instagram: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 applause video (7-Feb-17)
Another review of the 5-Feb Norma in Warsaw (7-Feb-17)
Review of the 5-Feb Norma in Warsaw (6-Feb-17)
Other Polish article on the occasion of Norma in Warsaw (4-Feb-17)
Article on the occasion of the forthcoming Norma in Warsaw (2-Feb-17)
On the occasion of the 70th birthday: Article on 5 of E.G.'s iconic roles (30-Jan-17)
17-Dec concert in the Stephansdom: Slovak video interview & excerpts from the concert (30-Jan-17)
17-Dec concert in the Stephansdom & reception afterwards: Short musical excerpts, interview, photos (more to come on 12-Feb on ORF2 Wien) Another picture gallery (11-Jan-17)
According to the homepage of the Hungarian State Opera, the venue of the June 24 Devereux will be the Opera House (6-Jan-17)
E.G. recites Xmas poem (6-Jan-17)
More 70th birthday tributes: BSO BR (6-Jan-17)
More 70th birthday tributes: Slovak Radio Czech Radio WDR Fono Forum Tribute from her birthplace Raĉa (26-Dec-16)
Further articles on the occasion of the 70th birthday (see below) (23-Dec-16)
On the occasion of the 70th birthday: Articles, TV & radio programs (see below) (20-Dec-16)
Picture gallery of the 17-Dec concert in the Stephansdom in Vienna (20-Dec-16)
Review & photos of the 12-Dec concert in Berliner Dom (15-Dec-16)
Photo galleries of the 12-Dec concert in Berliner Dom: 1 2 (14-Dec-16)
More about the programme of the 12-Dec concert in Berlin (9-Dec-16)
The "Vien diletto" cabaletta (Met, 1991) in France Musique's broadcast (9-Dec-16)
Another review of the concert in Prague (7-Dec-16)
Excerpt from article in Opernwelt, on the occasion of the forthcoming 70th birthday (6-Dec-16)
E.G. sings on the bonus track of Richard Šveda's new CD (6-Dec-16)
The 30-Nov concert in Prague: French review (6-Dec-16)
The 30-Nov concert in Prague: Fans' photo albums: 1 2 3 4 (6-Dec-16)
The 30-Nov concert in Prague: Radio interview Video interview excerpts: about the programme about the beginning of her career in Slovakia (6-Dec-16)
Review & photos of the 30-Nov concert in Prague (2-Dec-16)
E.G. wins a Slovak cultural prize (29-Nov-16)
Excerpt from the 16-Nov concert in Berlin, with interview (22-Nov-16)
New date: Concert in La Palma (Canary Islands) on 8-Jul (see Schedule for more details) (2-Nov-16)
Article about the current Japan tour & photos of the concert in Mito (24-Oct-16)
Ticket info slightly modified for the 17-Dec concert in Vienna: see the Schedule (18-Oct-16)
A few moments of the Viva Musica Festival in Bratislava (see 0:57 - 1:11) (15-Oct-16)
Another review of the concert in Krakow English version (11/15-Oct-16)
Another picture gallery of the concert in Krakow (7-Oct-16)
Applause video and Picture gallery of the 20-Sep concert in Krakow (27-Sep-16)
Concert reviews, photos: Bad Füssing, Krakow: 1 2 3 4 (22-Sep-16)
New Slovak interview in the September issue of "Hudobný Život" (also see the archives for further Gruberova articles) (14-Sep-16)
New Slovak interview (operaslovakia.sk) (2-Aug-16)
Japanese review of Lucrezia Borgia in Munich, 13-Jul (1-Aug-16)
Photo gallery of the 22-Jul recital in Bratislava (25-Jul-16)
The 22-Jul recital in Bratislava: Ovation video Review 1 Review 2 (23-Jul-16)
Review of the recent Prague Proms concert: English Czech (11-Jul-16)
Video: "Spiel' ich die Unschuld vom Lande" (Fledermaus) from the recent Prague Proms concert (6-Jul-16)
Review: The recent Prague Proms concert (6-Jul-16)
Prague concert, 28-Jun-16: Reviews: 1 2 Photo galleries: 1 2 (30-Jun-16)
Article & audio report on the masterclass in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (17-Jun-16)
Reports from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, with photos: Opening
Brigitte Fassbaender in interview, about the R. Strauss Festival (mentions E.G.) (15-Jun-16)
New date in the 2016 Japan tour: October 19 in Mito (15/17-Jun-16)
Japanese impresario Tadatsugu Sasaki passed away recently. You can read E.G.'s words of remembrance here (in Japanese translation) (15-Jun-16)
Report about the talk with the artist (w/ Brigitte Fassbaender) (13-Jun-16)
E.G. receives the Richard Strauss Medal (13-Jun-16)
Interview on the occasion of the masterclass in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (10-Jun-16)
Radio interview from March 2016 (by Eva Schramm): E.G. about Harnoncourt (5-Jun-16)
Article related to the Strauss Festival in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (5-Jun-16)
All the info contained herein is unofficial, unless otherwise noted. Your contributions are welcome.
(The news items are in reverse chronological order.)
- The bust of renowned Slovak soprano Lucia Popp (1939-1993) was unveiled in the Vienna State Opera on 12-Jun-2017.
Edita Gruberova attended the ceremony. Related articles: Report of the event, with a photo of E.G. (in Slovak) Article in English
E.G. and other former colleagues of Popp in interview, with a photo of E.G. (in Slovak) Photo gallery
- On the occasion of E.G.'s 70th birthday:
(Photo by Ramon Leŝko, source: slovenka.zenskyweb.sk)
E.G. has been awarded the Golden Plaque of the Slovak Republic. It was handed over to her on 17-Dec-2016 (after E.G.'s concert in the Stephansdom) in Vienna by the Slovak Minister of Foreign Affairs Miroslav Lajĉák (source: Twitter)
Picture gallery of the concert & the reception
Short musical excerpts from the concert, interview, photos (also here - video available in the archives of ORF2 for a few days)
Slovak video interview & excerpts from the concert
Another picture gallery
The Bavarian State Opera's congratulations on Facebook
Tribute from her birthplace Raĉa
Neue Zürcher Zeitung
Swiss article (available in several Swiss magazines)
Europe Online Magazine
BR (w/ picture gallery & list of planned broadcasts)
Article on 5 of her iconic roles
The birthday is also mentioned in the December 2016 issue of Prolog
There is also an article in the December 2016 issue of the Austrian magazine "Bühne"
Interviews and other radio/TV broadcasts:
TV interview (available on YouTube)
Ö1 (ORF) on 22-Dec at 19:30
NDR on 22-Dec at 20:00, with exclusive interview (replayable)
Audio program/interview, Bavarian Radio
Other audio program/interview, Bavarian Radio direct link to audio file
ARD-alpha (interview from 2015, replayable)
E.G. recites Xmas poem
- E.G. has won the cultural prize of Tatra banka (November 2016)
- Ms. Gruberova received the Ehrenplakette Richard Strauss
on 11-Jun-2016 at the opening ceremony of the Richard Strauss Festival in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. (The awardee in 2015 was Christa Ludwig.)
Report & photos
Other reports from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, with photos: Opening
Article & audio report on the masterclass
Brigitte Fassbaender in interview, about the R. Strauss Festival (mentions E.G.) (10-Jun-2016)
Fassbaender's closing words for the festival
- Ms. Gruberova is the first soprano who has sung all 3 Donizetti "Tudor Queens" at the Vienna State Opera. Related article (in Slovak)
- Ms. Gruberova sang at a benefit evening for refugees on 1-Oct-2015 in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna. The evening was organised by Maresa Hörbiger and featured several famous artists. Ms. Gruberova sang "Villanelle","Ah! tardai troppo" from "Linda di Chamounix" and as encore "Ach, wir armen Primadonnen".
Photos: 1 2 3 4
- The 2016 calendar of the Vienna State Opera contains a photo of E.G. (as Elisabetta in Roberto Devereux), on the October page. The photo (on the Facebook page of Arcadia Opera Shop)
- The "Verdi, Bellini Donizetti: Opera arias" CD (recorded in 1988) has been reissued by Sony in May 2015. Catalogue number: 88875086692.
- 45th Vienna State Opera anniversary (click on link to see the subpage dedicated to the anniversary)
- The 40th anniversary of Ms. Gruberova's debut in the Bavarian State Opera was celebrated on 27-Jul-2014, with (and after) the performance of "Lucrezia Borgia".
Photo gallery of the celebration other photo gallery
Performance review and report on the celebration
The anniversary performance: stage & curtain call photos
Reminiscences by Sir Peter Jonas, former intendant of the Bavarian State Opera
- For her lifetime achievement, E.G. has been awarded with the Austrian music theater prize "Goldener Schikaneder". More info.
The prize was handed over at a gala in the Theater an der Wien, on June 17, 2014.
At the gala, Ms. Gruberova was honored with a standing ovation.
another TV report
- E. G. has received the "Preis der Kulturstiftung Dortmund" for her lifetime achievement. The prize was handed over to her after a gala in the Konzerthaus Dortmund, on 5-Dec-2014.
Related articles: 1 2
Reviews of the gala: 1 2 3
- In Hamburg, E.G. performed at a festive dinner where prizes were handed over to young artists (April 2014)
- E. G. has received the "Stern der Woche", for her Mozart concert of 2-Feb-2014 in Munich, from the daily newspaper Abendzeitung
- E.G. has been awarded with the Herbert von Karajan Music Prize. It was handed over to her in the Festspielhaus Baden-Baden on 29-Nov-2013, at a gala concert.
Press article of 7-Mar-2013 Other article
Article about the prize and how the money will be spent
Laudation by Markus Thiel
Online articles: 1 2
3 4 5
6 (with nice photo)
Photos of the large Gruberova-Karajan poster on the facade of the Festspielhaus:
TV & radio reports: 1
2 3 (from 0:24:30, with archive footage) 4 (from 6:40) 5 (from 10:23, also here)
Rehearsal photo, 28-Nov
The money from the prize will be used to support two talented young Slovak artists: baritone Richard Šveda and conductor-pianist Peter Valentovič.
Nightingale Classics has brought out a newly recorded Mozart aria CD (NC 0715602) for the occasion.
More about the prize: German English
- There were 45 minutes of encores at the 17-Nov-2013 recital in the Liceu (Barcelona).
Related articles: Catalan
Flyers made for the occasion by the fans (courtesy of Jordi Pujal)
Video of the encore "Villanella"
Applause videos: 1
(last 3 videos courtesy of Jordi Pujal/Núria Alavedra)
Blog entries with photos: 1
Reviews: 1 2
Even more reviews
Photos: 1 2
Even more photos
- World star Edita Gruberova criticises frustrating rehearsals in international opera business The original, full German version of E.G.'s statement (July 2013)
- E.G.'s portrait, by Matthias Bitzer, is among the first portraits on display in the new portrait gallery of the Bavarian State Opera.
Press info, in German Article, in English
- Ferdinando Paër's "Leonora" has been reissued on CD, on the Decca Eloquence label (#4804859). Recorded in 1979, it was available only on LP so far. E.G. sings the role of Marcellina.
- E.G. received the Meistersinger-Medaille in Munich on 20-Jan-2013. The medal was handed over to her after the performance of "Lucrezia Borgia" in the Bavarian State Opera. The laudation was held by the
Bavarian State Minister of Sciences, Research and the Arts, Dr. Wolfgang Heubisch. E.G. is the first active singer to get the prize.
Related articles: 1 2 3 4
- 45th stage anniversary:
The anniversary was on 18-Feb-2013. Celebrations began with Anna Bolena at the Musikverein (3-Jan-2013) and a meeting with the press (4-Jan), then continued with concerts of La Straniera on 8 & 18-Feb-2013.
Der Neue Merker: 1 2
Kultur und Wein
Blog of journalist Barbara Rett
More details about the 4-Jan talk with the press (in Der Neue Merker)
Anna Bolena applause videos: 1 2
La Straniera applause video (8-Feb-2013)
Short audio interview
Photo of (most of) the cast
of the Bolena concert
Photo taken after the anniversary Straniera performance on 18-Feb
Reviews of the 8-Feb performance: 1 2 3
Review of the 18-Feb performance
On the occasion of the anniversary, La Straniera of 18-Feb was videostreamed live on the Net by sonostream.tv. This has been the first ever live online videostream to feature E.G.
For other related broadcasts, telecasts, see the Broadcasts page.
Slovak article on the occasion of the anniversary
- E.G. in Japan in 2012:
Ms. Gruberova has sung the title role of Donizetti's Anna Bolena 3 times in Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, in guest performances of the Wiener Staatsoper. She said in interviews earlier that these would be her final performances in Japan. (Update: further performances are scheduled for 2016 (2017?)!)
While in Tokyo, she was invited for tea by the imperial family (related articles: Japanese German German).
Documents of her performances and stay in Japan:
For Bolena reviews, see the Performance reviews page.
- Debut in new role: La Straniera
It took place on 5-Jul-2012 in Munich, in concert form. See the schedule for forthcoming dates.
Article (in French) on the occasion of the debut
Applause videos of the premiere:
Nightingale Classics plans to issue the work on CD.
- New biography: "Edita Gruberova - Der Gesang ist mein Geschenk"
Author: Markus Thiel
Publisher: Bärenreiter Henschel
Publishing date: May 2012
ISBN 3761822626, 9783761822623
256 pages, with color & black-and-white photos
Info on the website of the publisher
A sampler of the book (chapter titles & intro).
Review Another review
Article / book review
Audio interview with the author Download the interview (Jun-2012)
- Reconciliation with the Zurich Opera: After a voluntary absence for 10 years (due to her daughter's accident in the house) Ms. Gruberova sang a gala recital to great acclaim in the Zurich Opera (replacing at short notice the tenor Jonas Kaufmann) on 11-May-2012. Further performances will follow in the next season.
E.G. announced end of collaboration with the Bayerische Staatsoper in Feb-2012:
„Hiermit gebe ich bekannt, dass ich zum 27. Juli 2014 meinen
Abschied von der Bayerischen Staatsoper schweren Herzens
nehmen werde. Der Grund ist, dass ich seit Jahren keine neuen
Rollenangebote mehr bekommen habe und die Anzahl meiner
Auftritte beständig reduziert wird. Dadurch habe ich den Eindruck,
dass die Bayerische Staatsoper kein Interesse an einer
weiteren Zusammenarbeit hat. Mein geliebtes Münchner Publikum,
welches mir 38 Jahre lang die Treue hielt, kann mich
dennoch nach wie vor in der Münchner Philharmonie in konzertanten
Opernaufführungen bis 2015 sehen und hören.
München, am 06.02.2012"
Related articles: 1
Update (May-2013): E.G. has been offered further performances in the BSO, see the schedule.
- Kammersängerin Ruthilde Boesch, E.G.'s singing teacher for decades, died in Vienna on 20-Jan-2012, at age 94.
Obituary by the Vienna State Opera Obituary in English
A tribute, by three pupils
Proceeds from E.G.'s Wiener Staatsoper Live CD are going to charity:
At the request of Kammersängerin Edita Gruberova the Wiener Staatsoper and all the singers and conductors involved in the present release are donating its proceeds to the Soma City Earthquake Disaster Orphan Scholarship Fund, which was set up to support the education and training of children orphaned by the earthquake that struck Japan in March 2011 and that particularly affected the city of Soma. (Info taken from the CD's booklet.)
- In honor of Ms. Gruberova's 65th birthday, the Wiener Staatsoper
had an exhibition. (More info in the December 2011 issue of the Prolog magazine.)
Several TV and radio stations celebrated her birthday with various programmes, some are still available online, see the list in the broadcasts section.
Austrian president Dr. Heinz Fischer has sent a letter of congratulation on the occasion of the 65th birthday.
Birthday greeting from a native of Rača
- Charity activity: Although it is not much publicized, Ms. Gruberova is a supporter of several charity organisations helping children in need. She has supported SOS Kinderdorf, made the CD "From Heart to Heart" for
Cleft-Children International, and she has recently sung the role of Norma in three benefit concerts for
ColineOpéra in France. During her Japan tour she donated 10,000 euros to the Ashinaga fund for the children who became orphans because of the March 11 tsunamis.
- The Schubert Project: A new Schubert Lieder CD has been issued (in April 2012) by Nightingale Classics, with accompanist Alexander Schmalcz. A Lieder tour has followed / will follow in 2012 as well as in 2013. More info & interview with the accompanist. (July 2011/ April 2012) Short review
- There was a small, private exhibition dedicated to E.G., in Budapest (on the occasion of the "Lucrezia Borgia" concert).
Ms. Gruberova attended the exhibition on November 12, 2011.
Many fans have contributed pictures and other objects to the exhibition. It will be documented online.
- The Lucrezia Borgia CD (Nightingale Classics NC 000100) has won "Révérence Opéra", in No. 262 (May-June 2011) of Avant-Scène Opéra. (Source: Nightingale Classics)
- 40th Hamburg stage anniversary: Ms. Gruberova's Hamburg debut was on 12-Nov-1970, she sang Olympia in "Les Contes d'Hoffmann".
Exactly 40 years later she sang the title role of "La Traviata" there, to great acclaim, and after the performance she was lauded onstage by
Simone Young (general manager & artistic director of the house, who had also conducted the Traviata performance).
Article in "Opernglas"
See reviews in the Performance reviews section.
- "Lucrezia Borgia" has been issued on CD by Nightingale Classics.
Principal singers: Edita Gruberova (Lucrezia Borgia), José Bros (Gennaro), Franco Vassallo (Don Alfonso),
Silvia Tro Santafé (Maffio Orsini).
Chor der Oper Köln, WDR Rundfunkorchester Köln, conducted by Andriy Yurkevych.
Recorded in 2010.
- Ms. Gruberova has won the "Greatest opera diva of our generation" poll of the American online opera magazine
"Parterre Box", in the Contemporary category.
Criteria for the voting
Results per criteria (part 1)
Results per criteria (part 2)
- Salzburg "comeback": Ms. Gruberova sang again in the Salzburg Festival, after almost 2 decades of absence,
on 9-Aug-2010. (The performance - Norma - was repeated on 14-Aug.)
Photos of the 9-Aug performance
Pictures of the 13-Aug-10 autograph session
Rehearsal & interview on TV
There is a related portrait/interview in the 14-Aug-10 issue of the Freizeit magazine of the Austrian paper "Kurier" (available online for subscribers only)
Photos of the 14-Aug performance
Photos & review excerpts of the 9-Aug performance in the magazine of the Salzburg Festival
- There was a Gruberova exhibition in the Österreichisches Theatermuseum in Vienna
from 13-Oct-2010 till 9-Jan-2011, on the account of her 40th Vienna stage anniversary.
Video & pictures
Article, with pictures
Picture of the Palais Lobkowitz, with poster of the exhibition
- 40th Vienna stage anniversary: Ms. Gruberova's Vienna State Opera debut was with the
Queen of the Night, on 7-Feb-1970.
The 40th anniversary was featured in the news on the ZDF channel on 2-Feb-10. You can watch/download the
program from the archives (the news item includes interview and excerpts from I Puritani of 30-Jan-10).
(The archives are available for a limited time only, so please hurry with the download.)
a slightly different version can be seen here (starts at about 6:50)
- Ms. Gruberova sang her 100th Zerbinetta in Vienna on 6-Dec-09. (She has sung this role
more than 200 times all over the world.) 5 of the 100 performances in Vienna were in the "old" staging which last played in 1974,
the rest of the performances were in the current staging which premiered in 1976 and that was when she became a star.
During the curtain call of the 6-Dec-09 performance she announced to the audience
that it had been her last Zerbinetta.
- Ms. Gruberova has been awarded the Golden Medal of the Liceu (Barcelona), on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the reopening of the theatre.
Related articles (in Catalan & Spanish)::
- Ms. Gruberova was given the "Goldenes Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste um das Land Wien"
(Golden Order of Merit for Services to the Federal Province of Vienna) on 27-May-2009.
Article with picture
- Ms. Gruberova has been awarded honorary membership by the IBS society of opera fans in Munich.
The bestowal of the honorary membership took place in the course of a talk with the artist
- An approx. 80-minute version of the documentary was shown in Cinema München on 8-Mar-09 (with a repeat on 28-Mar).
- Documentary: The German firm "sounding images" has made a documentary on Edita Gruberova.
More info on the film, and a "trailer": in English in German.
(On the above pages you can find a link to a "trailer" i.e. a few minutes' preview of the film.)
The documentary has won the Audience Award at the 45th International Television Festival "Golden Prague" (18-Jun-08)
Brochure of the documentary
- The German opera magazine "Opernglas" has published an article on the occasion of the 14-April-08 concert in
Munich, where the Munich audience celebrated the artist's 40-year stage anniversary.
Königin des Belcanto
"Edita Gruberova feierte Mitte April in München ihr 40-jähriges Bühnenjubiläum; und Zweifel an jedem noch so elitären Qualitätssiegel für die Königin des Belcanto wischte die in vier Jahrzehnten beständiger Bühnenkarriere zu der bedeutendsten Koloratursopranistin ihrer Zeit gereifte Künstlerin schnell beiseite. Was Gruberova im Frühherbst ihrer Karriere, der noch viel eher einem ertragreichen Spätsommer gleicht, an exemplarischer Gesangskunst, gestalterischem Ausdruck und technisch nach wie vor atemberaubender Raffinesse über die Bühne bringt, hat längst singulären Rang erreicht. Ihre Auftritte in den bedeutendsten Musentempeln, die sie stets mit Bedacht und treuer Verbundenheit zu ihren Stammhäusern auswählt, genießen Kultcharakter, werden als Offenbarung der Belcanto-Kunst gefeiert und sind doch nie zu bloßen Society-Events verkommen. Die Gruberova bietet selten Häppchenkost, nutzt ihre Popularität vorbildlich für den Dienst an zum Teil zu Unrecht vergessenen Werken einer großen Epoche der Opernkunst."
(by J.M. Wienecke)
Edita Gruberova has received the "Premio Musica e Teatro"
award of the Lions Club Firenze (Italy).
(See the list of previous awardees
The award was handed over to her by the Club's President, Dr. Vincenzo Recchi, in a ceremony in the Grand Hotel Villa Medici in Firenze, on 13-May-2008.
In the ceremony, the chairman of the award commission, Dr. Fabrizio Borgioli,
outlined the career of Edita Gruberova and presented excerpts from her
recordings on video. The event was also the celebration of the 30th anniversary of Ms. Gruberova's debut in Firenze. She has sung there in the following operas:
Ariadne auf Naxos, Lucia di Lammermoor and Rigoletto.
- At the curtain call after the March 1 performance of "Lucrezia", Ms. Gruberova's fans in Barcelona celebrated the artist's 40th stage anniversary and also the 30th anniversary of her Barcelona debut by throwing hundreds of "fliers" onto the stage from above. See it (and other events after the performance) on YouTube Another video of the "fliers" Yet another video with fliers and flowers, the beginning of the ovations, fliers, a funny "encore" at the end
- Ms. Gruberova debuted in the title role of Donizetti's "Lucrezia Borgia" in the Liceu (Barcelona) on 22-Feb-2008. The opera was presented in concert form. The audience gave her a 30-minute standing ovation. See a part of the ovation (video).
See the "Simply the best" sign
- Avui (in Catalan)
- El Correo (in Spanish)
- ABC.es (in Spanish)
- El Periódico (in Spanish)
- Excerpt from a review of the March 1 performance, from "Die Welt": " (...)
Deren Kunst ist ja eigentlich keine emphatische, sondern eine elegische. Überwältigung und Empfindung entsteht bei ihr aus der mirakulösen Beherrschung sängerischer Mittel, besonders auch ihrer einzigartigen Kunst des Piano und des fil de voce, der kaum mehr hörbaren Töne, die sie zudem mühelos an- und abschwelle lassen kann. Solches setzt sie mit einem gewissen Manierismus als ihrem Markenzeichen ein; doch stehen solche Mittel schon seit längerem der gereiften Künstlerin auch als dramatische Akzentuierungen einer Rolle zur Verfügung. Nicht zuletzt bei Bellinis "Norma", mit der sie inzwischen erfolgreich den Ausdrucksgipfel ihres Fachs erklommen hat. "Und dabei ist die doch fast nur Mittellage", beschwichtig sie sich selbst. Gerade die ist bei Koloratursopranistinnen oft nicht sehr ausgeprägt.
Die 61-jährige Edita Gruberova aber straft nicht nur mit Disziplin und Vokalfrische der Länge ihrer Karriere Lügen, sie war nun auch als zwischen Sohnesliebe und verletztem Stolz hin- und hergerissene Renaissance-Femme fatale unbedingt überzeugend. So veredelte sie diesen Belcanto-Reißer mit seinen innovativen Szenengefügen und seiner elegisch getragenen, nur selten knalligen Melodik mit mühelosen Nuancenreichtum und bewusst gesetzten Spitzentönen. Das hemmungslos begeisterte Publikum ließ sich besonders von der wissenden Zurückhaltung dieser souverän im Dienst der Rolle ausgestellten Kunst verzaubern. Es hagelte nicht nur 35 Minuten Applaus für die Gruberova (die damit den Liceu-Rekord von 28 Minuten brach, der ebenfalls von ihr gehalten wurde), es flatterten auch Transparente in den Rängen und es regnete bunte Zettel mit dem mehrsprachigen Aufdruck: "40 Jahre im Dienst der Oper! 30 Jahre Treue zum Liceu!". (...) "
Standing ovation from the 26-Feb performance (video). Other video
Gruberova's effect on a very young fan
40th stage anniversary: Ms. Gruberova made her stage debut in the role of Rosina in the
Slovak National Theatre in Bratislava in
(Also in Feb-2008: the 30th anniversary of her debut in the Liceu in Barcelona.)
Tribute on the website of the Bavarian State Opera
Ms. Gruberova participated in the 90th birthday celebration of her singing teacher, Kammersängerin Ruthilde Boesch, on 12-Jan-08 in the Opera House in Vienna. She sang "Zueignung". You can read more about Ruthilde Boesch in the Jan-08 issue of Prolog (see page 19).
The November-07 issue of "Bühne" carries an article about Edita Gruberova, by
Jürgen Kesting. Excerpt:
"Es sind die Intensität der Phonation und die enorme Energie-Konzentration in der hohen und in der höchsten Lage, die der Stimme im Theater ihre Durchschlagkraft sichern und die Tragfähigkeit auch im Pianissimo. Die von der Atemsäule getragenen Töne "segeln" wie auf einem fliegenden Teppich selbst in die höchsten Ränge. Dass sie ihre Studio-Aufnahmen mit den in letzten fünfzehn Jahren entstandenen Mitschnitten - zu erwähnen sind weiter Bellinis Sonnambula und Rossinis Semiramide (die letzte prunkvolle Barock-Oper!) - überboten hat, liegt zum einen daran, dass die Stimme sich im Raum besser entfaltet, und harmonischer klingt, zum anderen daran, dass sie farbiger geworden ist und mehr Modulationen erlaubt. Endlich daran, dass sie sich eine geradezu phänomenale dynamische Flexibilität erarbeitet hat. Sie zeigt, dass eine Dramaturgie der Dynamik unendlich viel wirkungsvoller ist als ständiger Forte-Hochdruck. "Je lauter die anderen singen", hat sie einmal gesagt, "desto leiser werde ich." Und sie weiß, dass die verringerte Dynamik die erhöhte Aufmerksamkeit der Hörer findet, sie erzwingt. Mit der Rolle der Norma hat Edita Gruberová den Kreis ihrer einzigartigen Karriere ausgeschritten."
According to the website of Deutsche Grammophon, "Ariadne auf Naxos", previously available only on videotape, was released on DVD in October 2007.
- Articles on the occasion of Ms. Gruberova's 60th birthday:
- Links to (and excerpts from) articles in the German press
- Slovak article
- In the December/January issue of the newsletter "Stretta" of Freunde der Wiener Staatsoper, Dr. Peter Dusek writes:
"(...) 1976 sang die damals 30-jährige Sopranistin aus Bratislava ihre erste Zerbinetta unter Karl Böhm. Ab diesem Zeitpunkt war sie "Die Gruberova";
(...) Mit höchster Selbstdisziplin und einer unvergleichlichen Technik zieht sie von Erfolg zu Erfolg, begeistert die Zuschauer, versetzt sie in Hypnose und vollbringt immer wieder das, was ein unwiderlegliches Indiz für ganz große Opernkunst ist: Sie verwandelt die Bühne zu einem Ort der "magischen Verzauberung".
Happy Birthday und "ad multos annos"! "
Unofficial English translation:
(...) In 1976 the then 30-year-old soprano from Bratislava sang her first
Zerbinetta under Karl Böhm. From then on she has been "The Gruberova".
(...) With rigorous self-discipline and a matchless technique she goes from
success to success, delights the audience, throws them into hypnosis, and
accomplishes again and again what is a sure sign of the greatest operatic art:
transforms the stage into a place of "magical enchantment".
Happy Birthday and "ad multos annos"!
- Interview (Berliner Morgenpost)
- The Norma film in German cinemas:
In January 2007 the "Norma" film was shown in several German cinemas, within the
framework of "Klassik im Kino".
Edita Gruberova, Zoran Todorovich, Jürgen Rose and Sir Peter Jonas attended the film's Munich premiere on 14-Jan. Excerpt from a review:
"An jedem ersten Sonntag im Monat wird um 10.30 Uhr eine Oper präsentiert. Den Auftakt machte Vincenzo Bellinis „Norma“ in der Inszenierung von Jürgen Rose an der Bayerischen Staatsoper. Unangefochtener Star ist Primadonna Edita Gruberova, ihre Präsenz ein Garant für ausverkaufte Säle – auch im Kino. So hat sie neben Jürgen Rose und ihrem Bühnenpartner Zoran Todorovich den Weg ins Cinema gefunden, wo die Künstler zunächst über ihre Norma-Erfahrungen plaudern. Das Publikum ist begeistert, seinen Bühnenidolen ganz nah sein zu können. Immerhin sitzen die drei mitten im Parkett. In der Pause bildet sich eine Autogramm-Schlange. Viele haben die Produktion bereits im Nationaltheater gesehen. Doch Brian Larges Opern-Verfilmung zeigt alles noch einmal in Großaufnahme, und auch die Klangqualität ist erstaunlich. Schon während der Vorführung brandet Szenenapplaus auf. Abschließend kennen die Ovationen kein Halten mehr." (Georg Kasch in Abendzeitung)
- After weeks of illness which had forced her to cancel performances, Ms. Gruberova sang "Lucia di Lammermoor" in the Liceu (Barcelona) on December 1, 2006, and got a 15-minute standing ovation.
Here is a snippet from the "Lucia" (scroll down to '"Lucia di Lammermoor" amb Edita Gruberova' or
download the clip directly here).
- The 1983 Vienna State Opera telecast of Massenet's "Manon" has been issued on DVD by
With Francisco Araiza as Des Grieux, Ádám Fischer conducting.
- In a poll of the Hungarian classical music e-zine Café Momus the
10-Sep-05 concert performance of "Roberto Devereux" in the Palace of Arts in Budapest has gained the most votes in the category "Musical event of the year 2005".
- The 16-Sep-06 performance of "Roberto Devereux" in the Vienna State Opera was broadcast live to the
Herbert von Karajan-Platz, which is next to the building of the opera house. Source of info:
Homepage of the Vienna State Opera
- Excerpts from a 1984 Salzburg recital, of works of Mozart, has been released on the Orfeo label (catalogue number: C 709062 I). The accompanist is Irwin Gage. The double CD also contains excerpts from recitals by other singers. More details about the CD;
More details about the performance
- A 1976 live Salzburg recording of Mozart's "Der Schauspieldirektor" has been released on the Orfeo label (catalogue number: C 705061 B). Edita Gruberova sings the role of Mme Herz, Krisztina Laki is Mademoiselle Silberklang, Thomas Moser is Monsieur Vogelsang, Leopold Hager conducts. More details about the performance
(The CD also contains "Bastien & Bastienne" featuring Ileana Cotrubas.)
- An earlier recording of two Bach cantatas (No.51 and No.199) has been released on SACD (Super Audio CD) on the Capriccio label (CAP71078). Edita Gruberova is accompanied by the Deutsche Bachsolisten, Helmut Winschermann (cond.). (The SACD also contains another Bach cantata sung by Siegfried Lorenz.)
- The Munich production of Donizetti's "Roberto Devereux" has been released on DVD by
Deutsche Grammophon (June 2006). Cast: Edita Gruberova (Elisabetta), Roberto Aronica (Roberto), Jeanne Piland (Sara), Albert Schagidullin (Nottingham); conducted by Friedrich Haider.
- Rigoletto has been re-relesed on DVD by Deutsche Grammophon
- The March 2006 issue of the Austrian magazine "Bühne" has a Gruberova interview, on the occasion of "I Puritani" in Vienna.
- New Lieder CD titled "From Heart to Heart":
A Lieder CD has been issued on Nightingale Classics, for the benefit of the Cleft-Children International foundation.
The CD contains Lieder and duets by Dvorák, Schumann and Brahms, performed by Edita Gruberova, Argentinean baritone Iván Paley and Friedrich Haider (piano). Details
The CD is already available in some shops like the Arcadia shop in the Wiener Staatsoper.
Norma has been recorded for TV/DVD in Munich. The recording was telecast on Bayerisches Fernsehen on 3-Sep-2006. More info
It has been issued on DVD by Deutsche Grammophon (January 2007). Details
- The "Cosi fan tutte" video has been released on DVD by Deutsche Grammophon.
- Ms. Gruberova's stage debut in the role of Norma was on 21-Jan-2006 in Munich. Click here for further info.
- The January 2006 "Opernglas" has an exclusive Gruberova interview with pictures. You can read the text here and see the cover online.
- Edita Gruberova sang her 200th Zerbinetta in Vienna on 1-Dec-2005.
"Manchmal wird man als Kritiker der Musik zu einem solchen der Medizin und fragt sich, sehr laienhaft natürlich, wie es möglich ist, dass eine Sängerin 200 Mal die extrem hohe und anspruchsvolle Partie der Zerbinetta in Richard Strauss` "Ariadne auf Naxos" gibt, ohne dass die Stimme Schaden erleidet. Bei wem das anatomische Phänomen zu beobachten ist? Nur bei Edita Gruberova." (G. Korentschnig in Kurier)
She sang her first Zerbinetta in 1973 in Vienna, and the new Vienna production of 1976 made her a star. She still sings the role in the same staging in Vienna.
Reviews of the recent run are linked to the Performance reviews page.
- According to the website of the Vienna State Opera, the 5-Nov-2005 gala has been released on CD & DVD.
- Deutsche Grammophon has re-released the "Hänsel und Gretel" video on DVD.
- Ms. Gruberova has won the "Echo Klassik 2005" Award of the German record critics in the category of 19th-century operas, for her recording of Rossini's "Il Barbiere di Siviglia" (on the Nightingale Classics label). Details (in German)
- Niel Rishoi's biography of Edita Gruberova has been issued in Slovak as well. Publisher:
Slovart. ISBN: 80-8085-041-0. Related article (in Slovak)
- Deutsche Grammophon has issued the live Munich "Zauberflöte" on DVD. Previously it was issued only on VHS, and on DVD only in Japan.
- There has been a photo exhibition titled "Queens of coloratura" in Zvolen Castle, Slovakia, with photos of Lucia Popp and Edita Gruberova. The opening was on 30-Jun-2005. More info
- TDK has released the 1982 Salzburg recording of "Die Zauberflöte" on DVD. Details
- Ms. Gruberova was "Artist in Residence" in the Dortmund Konzerthaus in the 2005/06 season.
- In a recently published book about the Russian soprano
Anna Netrebko (Gregor Dolak: "Anna Netrebko - Opernstar der neuen Generation"), statements were made about
Ms. Gruberova's alleged conflict with Ms. Netrebko.
Those statements are completely false. The book was
not authorized by Ms. Netrebko, who has explicitly said in
an interview (in "Welt am Sonntag") that the statements about the conflict are false.
You can read Netrebko's interview here.
- The Fan Page has been mentioned in an article written on the occasion of the "Beatrice di Tenda" performances in Hamburg, in "Hamburger Abendblatt".
- The Norma CD has been issued by Nightingale.
- Honorary doctorate: Ms. Gruberova has received the degree "Doctor honoris causa" from the Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts in Bratislava. The ceremony was on 16-Feb-2005 in the Pálffy Palace in Bratislava. Photos
- Austrian award: Ms. Gruberova has been awarded the "Großes Ehrenzeichen für die Verdienste um die Republik Österreich". The award was handed to her on 3-Feb-2005 by Dr. Heinz Fischer, the President of the Republic. Picture
- Interviews: Ms. Gruberova has given an interview to "Kronen Zeitung" in which she reveals that she plans to sing "Lucrezia Borgia" in Munich and Barcelona. In the same interview she mentions that she will sing in "Ariadne auf Naxos", "Roberto Devereux" and "I Puritani" in Vienna. "Roberto Devereux" is also planned for Japan (Vienna Staatsoper tour in 2008). The interview was printed in the 6-Jan-2005 issue of the newspaper.
Another interview (Kurier, 13-Jan-2005) reveals that she will sing Zerbinetta the 200th time (in the Richard Strauss opera "Ariadne auf Naxos") in November in Vienna.
- News from Vienna: Ms. Gruberova participated in the New Year's Eve performance of "Fledermaus" (as Orlovsky's special guest) and sang Alabieff's "Nachtigall". (Jan-2005)
- "I Puritani" on DVD: The 2001 Barcelona performance of Bellini's "I Puritani", with Gruberova as Elvira, has been released by TDK. More info
- Open letter
about the planned disbanding of the Münchner Rundfunkorchester
- Fledermaus on DVD: The 1980 Vienna telecast of "Die Fledermaus", with Gruberova as Adele, has been released by TDK. More info
- The recent Japan tour:
Article (in German) with picture (Donna Anna)
Other article (in German)
Excerpt from another article (in German)
- Nightingale Classics has released "Il Barbiere di Siviglia".
- The Orfeo CD label has issued a 1980 Salzburg recital of Schubert, Mendelssohn and R. Strauss songs, with accompanists Erik Werba (piano) and Peter Schmidl (clarinet). See the Discography for details of the CD.
- The Orfeo CD label has issued a 1982 Salzburg broadcast of "Ariadne auf Naxos" (with Tomowa-Sintow as Ariadne). See details in the Discography.
Note: If you search for this CD in an online shop, please be aware that Tomowa-Sintow's name has been abbreviated to "Tomowa-S." in the catalogs.
- Edita Gruberova has won the 2004 "Merkur Theaterpreis", for her portrayal of Elisabetta in Donizetti's "Roberto Devereux".
The other winners of this year's prize are actress Sunnyi Melles and cabaret artist Bruno Jonas.
This award has been established by the Munich newspaper "Münchner Merkur" and it is given to artists who get the most votes from readers.
Interview on the occasion (in German)
- There is a long interview with Edita Gruberova in the 2004 yearbook of the Bavarian State Opera. The title of the book is "Oper Aktuell". The interviewer is Kevin Clarke.
More details and ordering info at the publisher's website
The book can also be ordered online from the webshop of the Bavarian State Opera.
- Edita Gruberova celebrated her 200th performance of "Lucia di Lammermoor" in Berlin in May 2004. Interview on the occasion (attention: plans for new roles are also revealed!) (in German)
You can see pictures on the website of Deutsche Oper Berlin
News article on a French opera site
- Edita Gruberova gave her European debut in the role of Norma in Baden-Baden on 24-Apr-2004, in a concert performance. Reviews (in German):
- Online Musik Magazin
- DPA (the same article is also available here)
- Die Welt
- Pforzheimer Zeitung
- Excerpt from the review in Badische Zeitung (the full article is available in the printed version or online to subscribers):
"(...) alles gelingt - es ist phänomenal. Nach wie vor bezwingt das unerhörte Leuchten, in das dieses unverkennbare Timbre die von Verdi so bewunderten "langen, langen Melodien" taucht, ist es der Hauch von einem dennoch klingenden Pianissimo, der einen zweimal hinhören lässt, ob's denn auch wirklich wahr ist.
Nach wie vor auch dieses unnachahmliche Ineinandergleiten der Töne und Phrasen, ihr traumhaft beherrschtes An- und Abschwellen, dieses unendliche Legato, das eigentlich ein immer währendes Glissando auf und ab darstellt, diese aufregenden Verzierungsabenteuer auf engstem Raum und auch bei angezogenen Tempi. Und immer noch: keine Angestrengtheit, keine Schärfen. Gewiss ist das die lyrischste Norma-Ausgabe, die denkbar ist. Anders gewendet: eine - allerdings raumgreifende - Lyrikerin, die die Aura des Dramatischen eher per Stimmhaltung suggeriert, als dass sie auf groen Ton setzte."
- Related interview in "Der Neue Merker"
- The new "Roberto Devereux" production in Munich:
- Review (in German, in multimedia-musikjournalismus.de)
- Review (in German, in "Opernwelt")
- Interview with conductor Friedrich Haider (in German, in "Münchner Merkur")
- Review (in German, in "Neue Zürcher Zeitung")
- Review (in German, in "Münchner Merkur")
- Review (in German, in "Passauer Neue Presse")
- Review of the 19-Jan premiere (in German, in "Bayernkurier") (if the article doesn't show, click on "Archiv", select "Jahrgang 55, Ausgabe Nr. 4, 22. Januar 2004" and click on "Kultur")
- Rehearsal photos, background material; reviews from audience members (in German, on the website of the Bavarian State Opera)
- Articles & pictures in the magazine of the Bavarian State Opera (in German, in PDF format)
- Interview on the occasion of the new production (in German, in "Münchner Merkur")
- Comments on the radio broadcast (in Italian)
- Barcelona prize: Edita Gruberova and Adrianne Pieczonka have jointly won the critics' prize for best female opera singer of the 2002/3 season, for their performance in "Ariadne auf Naxos" in the Liceu. More info (in Catalan).
- Edita Gruberova has recently received the President's Cross in Slovakia. More info & picture.
- A Gruberova exhibition can be viewed until 31-Oct-03 in the building of the Slovak Philharmonic in Bratislava.
Related article / interview
- On the occasion of the new "Lucia di Lammermoor" CD, there have been interviews published in the (free) magazines "Rondo Magazin" (03/2002) and "KlassikAkzente" (02/2002). Unfortunately the interviews are not available at the magazines' websites.
The Orfeo CD label has issued a Henze CD (C 609 031 B), with Edita Gruberova performing "Cantata della fiaba estrema".
The recording was made at the Salzburg Festival in 1975. On the CD it is paired with "Novae de infinto laudes" (1972, with Edda Moser and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau).
You can view the CD cover at this site.
The "Beatrice di Tenda" DVD has also been issued.
On 25-Jun-2003 Vienna celebrated Edita Gruberova's 25th anniversary in the role of Lucia in the Staatsoper. To honor the occasion, the Staatsoper has mounted an exhibition in its Gustav Mahler-Saal.
Related articles (in German, except where noted):
In the Coloratura discussion group, a poll has been conducted over which sopranos should be chosen
for the "Three Sopranos" (soprano equivalent of the "Three Tenors"). Edita Gruberova got the most votes.
See detailed results.
- The new recording of "Lucia di Lammermoor" has been issued by Nightingale Classics. Details. The CD was recorded in 2002. The release of this recording marks the 25th anniversary of Gruberova's Vienna debut in this role.
You can order the CD in the jpc.de & amazon.de online shops (and probably in others, too).
- On 21-Apr-2003 Edita Gruberova made her debut in the title role of Bellini's "Norma" in Tokyo, at a concert, with great success.
- Edita Gruberova debuted in February 1968 as Rosina in Rossini's "Il barbiere di Siviglia". Her 35-year anniversary in this role was celebrated at the performance of 1-Feb-2003 in Munich.
An account of the "Barbiere" performance of Jan. 23 (which included a sustained high F) (from the Coloratura discussion list)
- The 1996 Zurich performance of "Linda di Chamounix" (with Deon van der Walt, Armando Ariostini, László Polgár; Ádám Fischer conducting) has been issued on DVD.
You can order the DVD in some online shops, like crotchet.co.uk, amazon.co.uk, amazon.de.
- Nightingale Classics has issued a CD titled "Siente Me - Popular Avenues" which includes two new "crossover" songs.
More info (in German)
More info (in German)
Review (in German)
- (Attention: see 2012 update below!)
Ms. Gruberova cancelled her 2003 "Maria Stuarda" performances in Zurich. Here is her official statement
about the cancellation (26-Nov-02):
Frau Gruberova hat ihre Mitwirkung an der Produktion von Donizettis "Maria
Stuarda" sowie alle künftigen Projekte am Opernhaus Zürich unwiderruflich
abgesagt. Ihre Tochter, die ebendort im Engagement gestanden hatte, erlitt
während einer Vorstellung einen Unfall, der auf mangelnde
Sicherheitsvorkehrungen seitens des Vertragsgebers zurückzuführen ist. Da
dies eine fahrlässige Körperverletzung darstellt, sieht Frau Gruberova
sich nicht in der Lage, unter dem bestehenden Führungsteam weitere
Auftritte als Sängerin zu absolvieren.
Unofficial English translation:
Ms. Gruberova has irrevocably cancelled her participation in the
production of Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, as well as all future
projects at the Zurich Opera House. Her daughter, who was
professionally engaged at that very same place, suffered an accident
during a performance, which can be attributed to the inadequate safety
precautions of the contractors. As this physical injury was caused by
negligence, Ms. Gruberova cannot see her way to complete further
appearances as a singer under the present management.
The "Neue Zürcher Zeitung" about the cancellation
Further (official) statement from Ms. Gruberova (5-Dec-02):
Beim Unfall meiner Tochter im März 2001 am Opernhaus Zürich handelt es
sich um einen Sturz in 2-3 Meter Tiefe auf Beton, aus einer fahrenden und
ungesicherten(!) Bodenversenkung. Die Folge waren Verletzungen
verschiedenster Art und ein schwerer Schock, den meine Tochter mit
fortgesetzter Arbeit als Choreographin zu überwinden versuchte. Da Ausmaß
und Folge dieser Katastrophe zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch nicht abzusehen war,
habe auch ich aus Pflichtbewußtsein noch zwei weitere Produktionen
absolviert. Im September 2001 verschlechterte sich der Zustand meiner
Tochter derart, daß sie sich gezwungen sah, jegliche Arbeit niederzulegen.
Sie leidet heute an Spätfolgen (Unfalltrauma und starke körperliche
Schmerzen), ist zu 100% arbeitsunfähig und auf 46 kg abgemagert! Für mich
als MUTTER ist dies ein wohl jedermann verständiger Grund, endlich(!) die
Konsequenz zu ziehen, und auf weitere Tätigkeiten am Opernhaus Zürich zu
verzichten. Es sei erwähnt, daß eine Kollegin noch heute an den Spätfolgen
eines Feuerunfalls zu leiden hat und auch ich selbst vor nicht allzu
langer Zeit beinahe Unfallopfer auf Grund eines mangelhaft gesicherten
Stufengeländers geworden wäre!
Unofficial English translation:
My daughter's accident in March 2001 at the Zurich Opera concerned a fall of about 2-3 metres onto
concrete, from a stage trap door left open and unsecured.
Various injuries and severe shock resulted, which my daughter strove to overcome
by continuing to work as a choreographer.
The extent and consequences of this catastrophic accident could not be seen at this time, and being
conscious of my duty I even completed two additional productions.
In September 2001 the condition of my daughter deteriorated to such an extent, that she was forced to
stop all work.
At present she is suffering from the delayed effects of the traumatic accident and physical injuries.
She is absolutely (100%) unfit for work and has lost considerable weight, being presently down to
only 46 kg.
For myself as a mother, this is a completely reasonable ground, that perhaps everyone can understand, to
finally (!) to decide to cut one's losses, and renounce further participation with the Zurich Opera.
It should be mentioned, that a colleague of mine is still presently suffering from the delayed
consequences of an accident involving fire (at the Zurich Opera), and I myself, was all too recently
almost the victim of an accident, which would have been due to an inadequately secured banister on a
Update, 11-May-2012: A reconciliation happened today, as Ms. Gruberova sang a gala recital to great acclaim in the Zurich Opera (replacing at short notice the tenor Jonas Kaufmann).
In the 2012/3 season, Ms. Gruberova will have several performances in the Zurich Opera.
- There has been an interesting thread on the Coloratura discussion forum concerning the problems of recording Gruberova's voice.
- On 4-Oct-2002 Ms. Gruberova participated in a benefit gala (to help flood victims) in the Hamburg State Opera.
- For the benefit of the flood victims in Austria, Ms. Gruberova has auctioned off a concert gown of hers online.
Details (in German) at
- The September 2002 issue of Opernwelt has a 4-page Gruberova interview.
- Communication from Nightingale Classics: Nightingale has been receiving complaints that some of its titles are not available in certain countries or are out of stock. Nightingale wishes to emphasize that it does not restrict the availability of
any of its CDs in any country, and all CDs in its catalog are always in stock, available to all distributors. If you find that a particular
CD is not available in a particular shop, it is the result of
the shop's decision, not that of Nightingale Classics. If you are informed otherwise, please contact Nightingale at email@example.com.
- The "Semiramide" CD has been included in the latest quarterly list of the
Prize of the German Record Critics.
- There is a new, Italian edition of the 1987 La Scala
Don Giovanni on DVD, and the price is only 9.99 euro
(plus postage). More info at
http://www.elleu.com/musica/scheda_prodotto.asp?id=467. Note: they allegedly cannot sell the DVD outside Italy.
The webpage doesn't list the singers, but the video is really
of the Gruberova-Allen-Murray-Desderi performance, which
has already been issued on DVD at a much higher price.
(If you read Italian: there was a review of this DVD in
the newsgroup it.arti.musica.classica.mod. You can
look it up in the archive of groups.google.com .)
- News from Nightingale Classics: The replacement CDs are ready for the two faulty CDs in the
"Semiramide" CD set. If you want your CDs replaced, please go to
the website of Nightingale Classics for further info.
- One of the songs from the Edita Gruberova / Toni Stricker CD "Dialog" has been used
by Maximilian Schell in his new film. More info (in German)
- The Zurich production of Beatrice di Tenda has been recorded for video and
released commercially on DVD.
- A book under the title "Wiener Staatsoper - Ein Blick hinter die Kulissen" has been issued, with Gruberova's foreword and her photo (as Elisabetta in "Roberto Devereux") on the cover. More info.
- The 2001 yearbook of the Vienna State Opera (issued by the Freunde der Wiener Staatsoper) contains a Gruberova interview and several pictures. More info.
- French fan Yann Manchon has established forumGRUBEROVA, an Internet discussion group about the art of Edita Gruberova. The forum is moderated, and the archive is available only to members.
The main language is French, but you can post in any language.
Info about the group in French, English and German: http://www.ifrance.com/forumGRUBEROVA/.
You can subscribe by sending an e-mail to forumGRUBEROVAfirstname.lastname@example.org. To
unsubscribe, send mail to forumGRUBEROVAemail@example.com.
Members can also access the archives through the English-language interface of Yahoo at
The forum exists independently of this Fan Page.
- Gruberova's biography in the programme booklet of the Zurich "Beatrice di Tenda" production mentions that she
will sing "Norma" in a concert performance, in the Vienna State Opera in 2005.
- A compilation CD has been issued with excertps from live performances of the Graz Opera.
It contains two excerpts from Gruberova's 1975 "Lucia di Lammermoor": the Sextet and
the first half of the Mad Scene. The title of the CD is "Sternstunden des Belcanto".
- Ms. Gruberova supports the choir school of the Wiener Sängerknaben. Not only boys but also girls will be admitted to this school.
- Sir Peter Jonas, the intendant of the Bavarian State Opera, has announced that Ms. Gruberova is scheduled to sing Norma there in 2006 (in a staged version).
- A French book titled "Divas", by Agnès Gerhards, has been issued. It is about (operatic) divas, Gruberova among them.
- This website has been mentioned in the November 2000 issue of the American opera magazine "Opera News".
(Click on the above link to see the full article about singers' websites.)
- On 4-Sep-2000 in Zurich and on 15-Sep-2000 in Basel, Gruberova gave benefit concerts for SOS Children's Villages (a charity organization for children).
- An excerpt from the Munich radio broadcast of I Puritani can be found at
(please scroll down in that page to "I Puritani").
- Gruberova has been given the prestigious Bavarian award "Maximiliansorden".More info
- Gruberova celebrated her 30th Staatsoper anniversary on Feb. 5. 2000, in the Wiener Staatsoper (she sang Elvira in I Puritani).
Related newspaper articles:
- A book titled "Divas... In Their Own Words" has been published. Gruberova is one of the interviewed singers. More info.
- Gruberova won the prestigious Italian Bellini d'oro award in 1999. She was given the award at a gala performance. See pictures of the event.
- Gruberova has won the "Echo-Schallplattenpreis", the classical music award of the Deutsche Phono-Akademie. The award was presented to her in a gala in Weimar on 17-Oct-99.
- The Japanese version of the biography written by Niel Rishoi has been issued (March 1999). ISBN: 4-276-21775-X. Publisher: Ongaku-no Tomosha.
- Classical Singer Magazine (a U.S. publication) has conducted a "most communicative contemporary singer" poll on the Internet. Gruberova got the 2nd place (behind José Carreras).
- Excerpts from Gruberova's Donizetti opera recordings have been included in a CD compilation of operatic prayers, issued by a church.
- "Singers in roles" poll in Japan:
The Japanese quarterly opera magazine "Grand Opera" recently asked 16 famous
Japanese music critics to vote which singers are/were the best in certain roles.
Gruberova's Queen of the Night got 11 votes (while all other performers got 1 vote each).
- Gruberova celebrated her 30th stage anniversary (18-Feb-98), with the
same role (Rosina) in which she had made her stage debut.
- The live Don Giovanni video in which Gruberova is Donna Anna, is
one of the first opera videos released on DVD (Digital Video Disc).
- Edita Gruberova has been nominated "Female Singer of the Year" by 53 critics
in a poll organised by the OpernWelt magazine (1997).